Tuesday, March 13, 2018

A New Member of the Pack

A New Member of the Pack

Bringing a new dog into the pack can cause your current pet stress, jealousy and aggravation.  When I first adopted Abby, a Teacup Yorkie, it was heartbreaking to see the abuse she had suffered.  She was neglected in many ways and distrustful of people.  She was very sensitive and afraid to go near my family.  Fortunately, I had experience rescuing animals therefore, I knew it was going to take a lot of patience and dedication to nurse her back to health.  My first challenge was introducing her to Duke; my dog at the time.  Duke immediately welcomed her into the pack and helped her overcome her fear of people.  It amazing to see how she grew from such a traumatic experience and is a happy and playful dog.

Vocabulary
1. pack- a group of dogs
2. jealousy- feeling jealous
3. suffered- an unpleasant experience
4. abuse- cruel and violent treatment
5. rescue- save
6. overcome- success in dealing with a problem
7. playful- fond of games


Vocabulary Exercise: define the following words

1. jealousy: _______________________________

2. playful: ________________________________

3. pack: __________________________________

4. overcome: ______________________________

5. suffered: _______________________________

6. abuse: _________________________________

7. rescue: _________________________________



Grammar Point: Adjectives

Adjectives are words that modify or describe a noun. 



Grammar Exercise: In the reading above, there are several adjectives.  Write a description of your favorite animal and use at least 3 adjectives to describe the animal.  You must write at least 4 sentences. 



1 comment:

  1. I love Abby's story and am glad she has recovered from past abuse. I had to help my little Patches because he was 6 mos. old when I adopted him and had been in the shelter (whee he had suffered seizures) since he was rescued. After about two weeks in my son's room (with the other cats sniffing around outside the door), he finally seemed to relax and started blinking his eyes in pleasure and cuddling up.

    Nice grammar and vocabulary exercises!

    ReplyDelete